The Teacher Assistant reports to and is supervised by the Administrative Head under the direction of the Education Director. He/she is responsible for assisting in the implementation of each student's Individualized Education Program (IEP). The Teacher Assistant provides assistance with instruction, engages students during non-instructional activities, and monitors students while moving to and from various locations and activities. He/she must be able to take direction from all supervisors in implementing best practices and support students through both work tasks and limits set by supervisors. The Teacher Assistant must also be a capable leader who can train and provide support to fellow Instructional Assistants, and provide classroom instructional coverage in the absence of the assigned teacher.
The Teacher Assistant must also demonstrate interest and ability to address the developmental and social emotional needs of individuals with autism. He/she must be energetic and enthusiastic, as well as, patient. He/she must be flexible enough to work in various classrooms when moved and work cooperatively with all staff. The Teacher Assistant must be able to work independent of direct supervision and be proactive in taking the lead in various situations and with task completion.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Effectively and professionally communicates with:
o Other school staff and residential staff when indicated
• Train and provide guidance to new classroom staff
o Independently manage classroom activities and instruction when needed
• Behavior Management
o Follow all Behavior Intervention Plans
o Use a neutral tone when managing behaviors
o Adhere to exclusion, seclusion, and restraint regulations and PCM
o Collect required data in all needed areas
• IEP Implementation
o Implement instructional plans designed by professional staff
o Facilitate student learning by implementing IEP adaptations and strategies
o Collect required data related to IEP goals, academic skills, and life skills
• Working with Students
o Engage students during academic work
o Engage students during non-academic activities
o Monitor safety for students at all times
Other Duties & Responsibilities
• May perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Education, Experience, Skills)
• A Bachelor’s degree is required, as well as at least 3-6 months of work experience in a day school program. Teacher Assistants will be responsible for providing classroom instruction in the absence of the designated teacher as assigned.
• Must be at least 18 years old.
• A skill set that includes: the ability to interface in a professional manner with Linwood staff, parents, school system personnel and other professionals; the ability to train other Instructional Assistants and to provide a quality example in working with students; a comprehensive understanding of and the ability to consistently apply educational and behavioral plans; and the ability to work independently and to provide classroom coverage, when needed.
• Excellent oral, written and presentation skills.
Linwood offers the following benefits to their employees:
- Competitive Pay
- Medical/Dental/Vision Insurance
- Prescription Drug Coverage
- Employee Assistance Program
- Life Insurance & Supplemental Insurance
- Short Term / Long Term Disability Insurance
Please apply on Company's Website www.linwoodcenter.org
Linwood Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer