The position works individually and in group settings with consumers to assist with increasing their ability to obtain housing and gain knowledge of housing opportunities. The Housing Specialist will manage a consumer caseload to link individuals with housing through either the PRA 811 program or the Weinberg program. The Housing Specialist will directly support consumers to identify housing goals, facilitate housing application processes and counsel consumers to maintain housing. An important role in this position includes growing relationships with local housing contacts. The Housing Specialist will complete Administrative tasks such as consumer intake, hosting housing seminars, creating targeted Independent Living Plans with SMART goals, preparing case notes and attending housing advocacy meetings as needed. Regular travel required within Anne Arundel county, and sometimes Howard County for community provider/information meetings and/or presentations.
1. understanding of the history and commitment to the philosophy of Independent Living;
2. knowledge of or ability to learn about laws and civil rights;
3. the ability to communicate effectively with individuals with disabilities;
4. knowledge of local, statewide, and national housing policies;
5. understanding of obligations of tenancy, leases, and home modifications
6. ability to find, use and build community resources and relationships with Housing authorities;
7. strong desire to support people to lead the lives they choose;
8. experience in planning and organizing group activities;
9. understanding of local housing stock and housing accessibility;
10. good typing and computer skills and tracking of case notes;
11. excellent attention to details;
12. exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
A Bachelor's Degree is desired; work experience may be substituted. Background check required. Candidates must have 2+ years’ experience in housing related field.
Position details: 40 hours per week. $20.00 per hour. Great benefits- health insurance, retirement, paid time off and holidays. Mileage reimbursement available. Flexible and progressive work environment. Minorities and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Send resume and cover letter by August 1 at 5:00 pm EST to email@example.com