The Howard County Autism Society seeks a contractual Family Navigator to play a broad role in supporting children, youth and adults with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and their families. The ideal candidate will have an understanding of the characteristics and gifts that someone with ASD possess and experience working with people with ASD and their families.
Role will include:
- Finding appropriate resources for both individuals throughout the lifespan with ASD and the family unit as a whole, especially those who are in need of basic needs services
- Helping families process what diagnosis means and connecting them to resources appropriate throughout the lifespan
- Connecting individuals and their families who need them with basic needs and services such as clothing, food, transportation, mental health, insurance, financial supports, domestic violence counseling
- Identifying speakers or topics that could be addressed during family support group meetings, workshops, speaker series, particularly as it relates to Mental Health
- Connecting individuals with autism and ASD families for mutual support
- Maintaining and updating resource lists to share with individuals, families and to live on our website.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work from a Council of Social Work Education (CSWE) accredited institution.
- 3-5 years’ experience in social work
- If candidate does not already have a Certified Autism Specialist certificate, HCAS will cover the cost of this online training
- Current license in good standing with State of Maryland
- Some knowledge of service coordination, disability rights and the IEP process
- Demonstrate excellent customer service skills through written and verbal communication
- Organization and Time Management skills
- Self-motivated and Self-Directed.
- Basic computer skills
- Master’s Degree from a Council of Social Work Education (CSWE) accredited institution.
- LMSW or LCSW-C
- Experience in a hospital, health organization or mental health care agency. Certified Autism Specialist certificate
Average 5-10 hours/per week in consultation either in person, via phone or email. Send resume and cover letter by June 29, 2020 to Howard County Autism Society, email@example.com or mail 9770 Patuxent Woods Drive, Suite 308, Columbia, MD 21046.